Shane Warne is a fervent, frequent and at times, frivolous user of Twitter. Despite many tweets that end with hahaha – he has mastered the art and uses the tool most of the time, very successfully.
His genius tweet came when he asked his followers for recommendations on “sexy places to take Liz Hurley for lunch” on one of her early visits to Melbourne during their courtship.
From talkback radio to grannies in the suburbs, this tweet had everyone talking and @warne888 became a mobile newsroom. Through this candid request for information he won us over and his followers escalated (640,000 at last count) because ‘he is down to earth, real, exciting and he’s our friend .’
The tabloids also realised that his tweets were offering them story ideas and so assigned reporters to follow his every tweet for leads. Shane and his management team worked out that this was an effective way to promote his business interests and put together a loose list of topics to include in the tweets.
Here’s how I imagine the plan to read:
- family – stuff to make it personal
- lucky spinners undies- reference but always keep it tongue in cheek so you don’t look too pushy
- Warne foundation – some pics here and there, to show its still up and running
- celebrity friends and pics from around the world – keep the media interested and show how well you’re connected
- 888 poker – online gambling is tough to promote so we’ll incorporate the brand into your twitter account and just keep it subliminal at this point
- Big bash – some inside gossip but keep professional
- Liz – be strategic (couldn’t have worked out better how many times she writes back)
- miscellaneous – comment on the news of the day, things you are doing, let Warneeeeee shine
But it is in the miscellaneous section that Shane comes undone – when he ventures off the plan and starts saying what he really thinks. Warne was exposed this month when he displayed his disdain for push bikes (innocent, carbon friendly devices) on twitter
I know the communications game has changed since I started getting daily doses of Warne888 but every now and then the old rules still apply – stick to the plan, stay on message (even if it is online gambling or undies) and please use your fame for good not evil.